pre 1980

Click any image below to enlarge.

1919 aerial photo of St Ives with the bowls club near the middle, only one year after formation.
© The Norris Museum

Jubilee Year 1935
Opening of the St Ives Bowling Club's New Ground.
First woods down by the President S. Shuter & Vice President B. Clements

Dilley Cup Winners 1939
(Back) H E Dixon (Vice President), E Morris, W Cousins, J Stocker, H Boncey
(Front) J Graves, T Noble (Vice Captain), G Harrison (Captain & Secretary), 
F Dew, A Golding, B Clements, P Doyle


St Ives Bowling Club 1947
(Lady Members First Year)
President: H J Benton, Hon Secretary: Geo A Harrison, 
Hon Treasurer: A Golding, Captain: J T Waddelow


1947 aerial view of St Ives, with the bowls club in the bottom right


1950 Season
President: J P Stocker
Parkinson Cup Winner: G Jacob                  Challenge Cup Winner: A Hurst

Another photo from the same day in 1950.


St Ives Town Bowling Club 1953
Alfred Golding Esq. An appreciation of many years of service


Dilley Cup (Ladies Section) Winners 1955
Mrs Palmer (skip) & Mrs Wilson


Honorary Secretary from 1922 to 1955
George A Harrison, Esq.
Presented to the Club by the Members in recognition of his services.


Dilley Cup Winners 1956
St Ives Town Bowling Club
Skips: A Hurst, S Goose (Captain), G Harrison
A Golding, H Benton, J Harrison, J Stocker, F Threadgill (President), E Wilson, L Titchmarsh, B Morgan, J Lleigh, L Burch


Presentation of trophies 1958


The Mayor & Mayoress (Councillor & Mrs R H Stiles) at the opening of the 1960 season, the first time the club opening was made a civic occasion. It was also a first unfurling for the club flag, presented by Bert Clements & designed as the borough arms on a blue background by Mr E Wilson, a club member.


Cambridge City Women's Pairs Winners 1960
Dilley Cup Women's Pairs Winners 1960
Mrs E Wilson & Mrs H Benton

Opening day 1961

Cambridgeshire County Triples (Women's Section) Winners 1961
Mrs E Wilson, Mrs F E Benton & Mrs I M Scotney

Hunts County Women's' Pairs Challenge Cup Winners 1965
Miss M Dring & Mrs G Taachi

Herbert Werba, who donated the Werba Cup to the club
in this year, 1965, the same year as he became Mayor of St Ives.
He's accompanied by his wife Sonja, a founding member of
the club's women's section. Image from the Hunts Post.

Jack Stocker, club member and donator of the Jack Stocker Cup, pictured in 1965. Mr Stocker is shown retiring as licensee of The Greyhound. He had also become the longest serving publican in St Ives.

Opening day 1966

Closing day 1966 presentation to Werba Cup Women's Pairs winners
The Mayoress is Sonja Werba, a founding member of the club's women's section. Her husband Herbert Werba, the Mayor of St Ives and donator of the cup, is standing behind her.

Closing day 1966
Presentation to Alfred Golding

Opening day 1967
The Mayor is Herbert Werba, the Mayoress Sonja Werba, a member of the club.

Closing day 1967

HEBF 4 Woods Singles Winner 1976
Colyn Elswood

St Ives Bowls Club 70th Anniversary

Huntingdonshire EBA Triples runners up, Worthing 1979
Fred Bowden, Fred Plume & Fred Chambers